Thursday, July 14, 2011

Cults

I suspect that I like this band's aesthetic more than their music. This is entirely possible, since I am kind of superficial. Just their band name alone is dark and punchy. Cults is one of those topics. It captures the imagination. It is unsettling. And, technically speaking, cults are everywhere.

Actual cults make you ask, could I be taken in by one? Could I be duped like that? I am of the mind that if you can believe a lie, then you can get lured into a cult.

Go Outside, by Cults from Boing Boing on Vimeo.


This music video is unsettling. I have seen several documentaries on the Jonestown Massacre, and with them in mind, I believe the editing for this video is extremely well done. Watch MSNBC's "Witness to Jonestown" documentary. They are very respectful and empathetic in the survivor interviews.

I remember when I first learned about Jonestown. I was a little kid then. My mom, sister, and I ran into her cousin at the movie theater. I remember her telling us that he was a pilot, and that he flew Jim Jones' corpse out of Guyana. My mom was good about giving us the honest facts and answering as many follow-up questions as she could. She talked and listened to us. She explained what a cult was and what happened in Jonestown. Her explanation would forever change the way I looked at my religion and Kool-Aid.

No comments: